Saturday 1 May 2010

Performance Management

Performance management is a repeating process which involves monitoring performance of staff and giving them feed back so that performance can be improved. (team technology [2010]).

performance of employees can be measured in different ways, for example: you can measure by looking at the number of unit produced, the quality of a product, timelines, cost effectiveness, personal appearence, absentism and there are many more ways. (hrworld [2010]).

Performance is measured because employers need to monitor employees and make sure that each goal is completed in the given time, if not monitored employees could become free roamers.

The benefit of measuring employee performance are that, employers will be able to know if they are meeting with customer requirements, which areas to improve on, if there are problems with existing procedures, it will increase comunication between staff and management, and most of all employees will be recognised for the work they do and therefore motivate them more. (orau [2010]).

Appraisal at Work:
When i used to work for BP my manager would call me out and give me feedback on my performances and would tell me to improve on areas that i wasn't doing so well. when i managed to complete tasks he would aprise me by saying that i did a good job and would tell me that i would get promoted sooner if i continued like that. Just those words have motivated me to do better and more and as time went he would keep on saying the same thing but then i got to the point when i realised that i would never get promoted when my manager employed somone from another store and therefore i dropped my performance level. the feedbacks however, were very good but the apraisals was just to motivate me to increase performance. very nice trick from the manager, i was too naive.

Mentors:
Mentors are experienced and skilled people who are here to help people, by listening, giving advices on how to solve things, or life problems, anything really.
a skilled mentor would be one with very good listening skills, analytical skills, a very experienced person who do not tell the person what to do but helps them and teaches them how to do it. Mentor should have a number of useful conections, and most of all should be a person who is approchable with any sorts of queries. (businesstimesonline [2010]). In my view a very good mentor should be able review your erformance and give you feedback. a mentor who doesn't give feedback is not really a mentor. and this is where the performance management skills comes in for a mentor. Mentors need to be able to look analyse and give very good feedback.

My mentor:
When i first came to this country i was in year 7. At that school i had a mentor as i didn't know the language aswell as the people and the place. He spoke french which was a great advantage, he helped me through my school days, he knew a number of people that could help me to improve my english skills. He also introduced me to kids in the school so that i could make freinds and not be on my own, he has thaught me to be independent. He would always listen to my problems and would give me very good advices on how to resolve them. By having had a mentor i now feel more independent and know how to solve most problems, i have learned to look at life and plan ahead before life looks at me and draggs me down.

Conclusion:
Overall i believe that performance management is required in all organisation as it is a crutial process that would help organisations to achieve goals and detect problems if there are any. Mentors without performance management skills, in my point of view will not be good mentors.

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment